1. Acceptance and Changes
We will not knowingly collect personal information from individuals who are under the age of 18 years old. You must be at least 18 years of age to subscribe to BHERC TV. In certain jurisdictions, the age of majority may be older than 18, in which case, you must have attained that age in order to become a member. Individuals under the age of 18 may utilize the service only with the involvement, supervision, and approval of a parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent or legal guardian who believes your child has provided personal information to BHERC TV without your consent, you may request us to delete the information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Collection of Information
We receive and store Your Data which is defined as:
- Information you provide to us: We collect Your Data which includes:
- your name, email address, address or postal code, payment method(s), and telephone number. In certain countries, we collect a government identification number for purposes such as billing and tax compliance. We collect this information in several ways, including when you enter it while using our service, interact with our customer service, or participate in surveys or marketing promotions; Will BHERC collect subscribers’ payment or use a 3rd party such as PayPal?
- information when you choose to provide ratings, taste preferences, account settings (including preferences set in the “Account” section of our website), or otherwise provide information to us through our service or elsewhere.
- Information we collect automatically: We collect Your Data and your use of our service, your interactions with us and our advertising, as well as information regarding your computer or other devices used to access our service (such as gaming systems, smart TVs, mobile devices, set top boxes, and other streaming media devices). This information includes:
- your activity on the service, such as title selections, watch history and search queries;
- your interactions with our emails and texts, and with our messages through push and online messaging channels;
- details of your interactions with our customer service, such as the date, time and reason for contacting us, transcripts of any chat conversations, and if you call us, your phone number and call recordings;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers;
- resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers), such as those on mobile devices, tablets, and streaming media devices that include such identifiers (see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section below for more information);
- device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, statistics on page views, referring source (for example, referral URLs), IP address (which may tell us your general location), browser and standard web server log information;
- Information from Partners: We collect information from other companies with whom you have a relationship (“Partners”). These Partners might include (depending on what services you use): your Internet service provider, or other streaming media device providers who make our service available on their device; mobile phone carriers or other companies who provide services to you and collect payment for the service for distribution to us; and voice assistant platform providers who enable interaction with our service via voice commands. The information Partners provide us varies depending on the nature of the Partner services, and may include:
- media related search queries and commands you make through Partner devices or voice assistant platforms;
- service activation information such as your email address or other contact information;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers that support user authentication, the BHERC TV service registration experience, Partner payment processing, and the presentation of BHERC TV content to you through portions of the Partner user interface.
- service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize our service and for other uses consistent with this Privacy Statement;
- payment service providers who provide us with payment information, or updates to that information, based on their relationship with you;
- online and offline data providers, from which we obtain demographic, interest based and online advertising related data;
- publicly available sources such as open government databases.
4. Use of Your Data
We use Your Data to provide, analyze, administer, enhance and personalize our services and marketing efforts, to process your registration, (your orders and your payments, ) and to communicate with you on these and other topics. For example, we use Your Data to:
- determine your general geographic location, provide localized content, provide you with customized and personalized viewing recommendations for movies and short films we think will be of interest to you, determine your Internet service provider, and help us quickly and efficiently respond to inquiries and requests;
- to coordinate with Partners on making the BHERC TV service available to members and providing information to non-members about the availability of the BHERC TV service, based on the specific relationship you have with the Partner;
- prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, and to enforce our terms (such as determining free trial eligibility);
- analyze and understand our audience, improve our service (including our user interface experiences) and optimize content selection, recommendation algorithms and delivery;
5. Disclosure of Your Data
We disclose Your Data for certain purposes and to third parties, as described below:
- Black Hollywood Resource and Education Center
- Service Providers: We use other companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of services to you. For example, we engage Service Providers to provide marketing, advertising, communications, infrastructure and information technology (“IT”) services, to personalize and optimize our service, to process credit card transactions or other payment methods PayPal provide customer service, to collect debts, to analyze and enhance data (including data about users’ interactions with our service), and to process and administer consumer surveys. In the course of providing such services, these Service Providers may have access to Your Data. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services.
- Partners: As described above, you may have a relationship with one or more of our Partners, in which case we may share certain information with them in order to coordinate with them on providing BHERC TV to members and providing information about the availability of the BHERC TV. For example, depending on what Partner services you use, we may share Your Data:
- in order to facilitate Partner collection of payment for the service for distribution to us;
- with Partners who operate voice assistant platforms that allow you to interact with our service using voice commands;
- so that content and features available in the service can be suggested to you in the Partner’s user interface. For members, these suggestions are part of the BHERC TV service and may include customized and personalized viewing recommendations.
- Promotional offers: We may offer joint promotions or programs that, in order for your participation, will require us to share your information with third parties. In fulfilling these types of promotions, we may share your name and other information in connection with fulfilling the incentive. Please note that these third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices.
6. Access to Account and Social Media Profiles
For ease of access to your account, you can use the “Remember me on this device” function when you log in to the website. This function uses technology that enables us to provide direct account access and to help administer the service without requiring reentry of any password or other user identification when your browser revisits the service.
To remove access to your BHERC TV account from your devices: (a) visit the “Account” section of our website, choose “Sign out of all devices,” and follow the instructions to deactivate your devices (note, deactivation may not occur immediately) or (b) delete your BHERC TV settings from your device (steps vary by device and the option is not available on all devices). Where possible, users of public or shared devices should log out at the completion of each visit. If you sell or return a computer or BHERC ready device, you should log out and deactivate the device before doing so. If you do not maintain the security of your password or device, or fail to log out or deactivate your device, subsequent users may be able to access your account, including your personal information.
If you share or otherwise allow others to have access to your account, they will be able to see your information (including in some cases personal information) such as your watch history, ratings, and account information (including your email address or other information in the “Account” area of our website). This remains true even if you use our profiles feature.
Profiles allow users to have a distinct, personalized BHERC TV experience, built around the films and shows of interest to them, as well as separate watch histories. Please note that profiles are available to everyone who uses your BHERC TV account, so that anyone with access to your BHERC TV account can navigate to and use, edit or delete profiles. You should explain this to others with access to your account, and if you do not wish them to use or change your profile, be sure to let them know. Profile users may be offered the opportunity to add an email address, phone number or other information to the profile and will be provided with notice of collection and use at the time such information is requested (the Profile Privacy Notice applies (https://help.BHERC.com/support).
7. Your Choices
Email and Text Messages: If you no longer want to receive certain communications from us via email or text message, simply access the “Communications Settings” option in the “Account” section of our website and uncheck those items to unsubscribe. Alternatively, click the “unsubscribe” link in the email or reply STOP (or as otherwise instructed) to the text message. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from service-related correspondence from us, such as messages relating to your account transactions.
Push Notifications: You can choose to receive mobile push notifications from BHERC TV. On some device operating systems, you will be automatically enrolled in the notifications. If you subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your mobile device’s settings functionality to turn them off.
WhatsApp: If you have enabled WhatsApp messages in connection with your BHERC TV account or profile and no longer wish to receive them, you can use your WhatsApp app settings to block them.
Interest-Based Ads: Interest-based ads are online ads that are tailored to your likely interests based on your use of various apps and websites across the Internet. If you are using a browser, then cookies and web beacons can be used to collect information to help determine your likely interests. If you are using a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media device that includes a resettable device identifier, then that identifier can be used to help determine your likely interests. For your choices about interest-based ads from BHERC TV, please see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section (below).
Matched Identifier Communications: Some third-party sites and apps allow us to reach our users with online promotions about our titles and services by sending a privacy protective identifier to the third party. A privacy protective identifier means we convert the original information (such as an email address or phone number) into a value to keep the original information from being revealed. The third party compares the privacy protective identifier to identifiers in its database and there will be a match only if you have used the same identifier (such as an email address) with BHERC TV and the third party. If there is a match, BHERC TV can then choose whether or not to send a given promotional communication to you on that third-party site or app. You can opt out in the “Marketing Communications” section of the “Account” section of our website.
8. Your Data and Rights
You can request access to Your Data or correct or update out-of-date or inaccurate personal information we hold about you.
You can most easily do this by visiting the “Account” portion of our website, where you have the ability to access and update a broad range of information about your account, including your contact information, your BHERC payment information, and various related information about your account (such as the content you have viewed and rated). You must be signed in to access the “Account” section. You may also request that we delete personal information that we hold about you.
To make requests, or if you have any other question regarding our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Office at email@example.com. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Please also see the “Your Choices” section of this Privacy Statement for additional choices regarding your information.
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard Your Data against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. These measures are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risks of processing your personal information. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of Your Data.
10. Other Websites, Platforms and Applications
11. Cookies and Internet Advertising
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are commonly stored on your device when you browse and use websites and online services. They are widely used to make websites work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information and assist with service or advertising personalization.
Cookies are not the only types of technology that enable this functionality; we also use other, similar types of technologies. See below for more information and examples.
What are resettable device identifiers?
Resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers) are similar to cookies and are found on many mobile devices and tablets (for example, the “Identifier for Advertisers” (or IDFA) on Apple iOS devices and the “Google Advertising ID” on Android devices), and certain streaming media devices. Like cookies, resettable device identifiers are used to make online advertising more relevant.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are not essential but help us to personalize and enhance your online experience with BHERC TV. For example, they help us to remember your preferences and prevent you from needing to re-enter information you previously provided (for example, during member sign up). We also use these cookies to collect information (such as popular pages, conversion rates, viewing patterns, click-through and other information) about our visitors’ use of the service so that we can enhance and personalize our website and service and conduct market research. Deletion of these types of cookies may result in limited functionality of our service.
- Advertising cookies and resettable device identifiers: These cookies and resettable device identifiers use information about your use of this and other websites and apps, your response to ads and emails, and to deliver ads that are more relevant to you. These types of ads are called “interest-based advertising.” Many of the advertising cookies associated with our service belong to our Service Providers.
How can I exercise choice regarding cookies and resettable device identifiers?
For more information about cookies set through our website, as well as other types of online tracking (including the collection of information by third parties about your online activities over time and across third-party Web sites or online services for online interest based advertising), and to exercise choices regarding them, click here.
To opt out of interest-based ads from BHERC TV in connection with a resettable device identifier on a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media devices, please configure the appropriate setting on your device (usually found under “privacy” or “ads” in your device’s settings). You may still see BHERC TV ads on your device, but they will not be tailored to your likely interests.
BHERC TV supports the following self-regulatory programs, which provide additional privacy choices for interest-based advertising:
- In the US: Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) (https://digitaladvertisingalliance.org)
- In Europe: European Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) (https://www.edaa.eu)
- In Canada: Ad Choices: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) (https://youradchoices.ca)/ Choix de Pub: l’Alliance de la publicité numérique du Canada (DAAC) (https://youradchoices.ca/fr/en-savoir-plus)
At this time, we do not respond to Web browser “do not track” signals.
How Does BHERC TV use Web Beacons and other Technologies?
Web beacons (also known as clear gifs or pixel tags) often work in conjunction with cookies. We and our Service Providers may use them for similar purposes as cookies, such as to understand and enhance the use of our service, improve site performance, monitor visitor traffic and actions on our site, and understand interactions with our marketing (including email and online ads on third party sites). Because web beacons often work in conjunction with cookies, in many cases, declining cookies will impair the effectiveness of web beacons associated with those cookies.
We use other technologies that are similar to cookies, such as browser storage and plugins (e.g., HTML5, IndexedDB, and WebSQL). Like cookies, some of these technologies may store small amounts of data on your device. We may use these and various other technologies for similar purposes as cookies, such as to enforce our terms, prevent fraud, and analyze the use of our service. There are a number of ways to exercise choice regarding these technologies. For example, many popular browsers provide the ability to clear browser storage, commonly in the settings or preferences area; see your browser’s help function or support area to learn more. Other technologies, such as Silverlight storage, may be cleared from within the application.
12. Contacting Us
If you have general questions about your account or how to contact customer service for assistance, please visit our online help center at https://help.BHERC.-TV.org. For questions specifically about this Privacy Statement, or our use of your personal information, cookies or similar technologies, please contact our Data Protection Officer/Privacy Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The data controller of your personal information is BHERC SHORT FILMS. Please note that if you contact us to assist you, for your safety and ours we will need to authenticate your identity before fulfilling your request.
To see the prior version of this document, please go to https://bherc.tv/privacy-updates.
Last Updated: January 27, 2020